Tuesday 19 June 2007

The WI on the BBC

On Monday 25th June at 9pm on BBC4 there is the first of a series of three about the Women's Institute in the 21st Century. The first programme is concentrating on a new group in Great Yarmouth.

From the BBC4 website:
A new series about the British Institution, The Women's Institute, the largest voluntary women's organisation in Britain, formed in 1915 with the initial aims of revitalising communities and encouraging woman to produce food during World War I.

This programme follows a new group in Yarmouth, which has fast become the largest in the country. The group is headed by 38-year-old Amy who along with her friend Bunty want to implement some changes to the perception of the Women's Institute and bring it into the 21st century.

5 Comments:

At 22 June 2007 at 13:09 , Blogger nicolajanestevens said...

Hi there,

I am the president of the East End WI based in Bow. We are also quite new and it would be great to com eand visit you at some point and for you guys to visit us. If you are interested please contact us at eastendwi@btinternet.com.

I have had a preview of the first episode of this programme and would be very interested to know hwta your members think of it. The first episode looks at Yarmouth WI, at the time of filming the biggest WI in the UK. Very different community to the city ones I feel but as I say I would be very onterested to hear your views.

All thebest

Niki Stevens

 
At 4 July 2007 at 17:21 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say Hi to new friends and add you to my blog feed. Great to read of new WIs popping up here and there and like Niki, I'd love to know what you thought of the programme!

 
At 9 July 2007 at 15:58 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knew her 20+ years ago - she is a quite ghastly woman and has lied about her age amongst other things!

 
At 12 July 2007 at 23:32 , Blogger RuthMcT said...

Hi all, thank you for your posts. Niki, I did send you an e-mail, not sure if you got it.

I've watched the first two of the WI programme - lets just say there seem to be some very forceful women in the WI! (and I used to think some of the personality clashes at work were bad enough)

 
At 16 July 2007 at 12:40 , Blogger Jil said...

Hi Niki
Am having to leave message here for you as I have had no luck in contacting you via the btinternet.com address.
I wonder if you could send me a link or a way of contacting you as I am interested in meeting up with you.
Here is my address - jilcove@yahoo.co.uk
and hope to hear from you soon.
Regards - Jil (Cove)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home